by Tazeem Weljie
Over the last two and half years I have had the pleasure of working at DASH BC. It’s been a time of growth and development and I feel very privileged to have had this opportunity. As I wrap up, I have been reflecting on this journey, the experience I have gained and the many lessons I have learned.
As I move on to new a chapter, my greatest realization is how important it is to be surrounded with people who share similar values and beliefs. Here at DASH, our values are Balance, Fun, Learning, Contribution, and Collaboration.
I feel fortunate to have worked with a team who not only practice these on daily basis, but encourage others to as well. Personally, balance is something I strive for regularly, but tends to be the first thing to slip when work and life get busy. However at DASH, we believe that a balanced lifestyle leads to a happy, healthy, and hardworking team. Some ways in which we achieve this is by:
- Spontaneous walks/lunch time yoga with the team
- Opportunities to build and maintain positive working relationships with partners and community
- impromptu breaks that encourage laughter and silliness
- Brainstorming, working together, and supporting one another
- Going into the community first-hand to see our impact
- providing ways for staff to continually learn and blossom
As we move into the new school year, I encourage you to remember the importance of working hard, playing hard and surrounding yourself by people who are going to push you to be awesome, challenge you, and help you to get out of your comfort zone. Ask yourself this question…who’s on my team?
I want to say a big thank you to all of you on “Team Taz” – the internal DASH team, external partners, mentors, and friends who have been along on this journey with me. It’s been a wild ride!
Leave a Comment