The Healthy Living Youth Council: Student Engagement in Action
What is the Healthy Living Youth Council?
The Healthy Living Youth Council (HLYC) is a committee of high school students from all over BC. The members of the council are the driving force behind the realization of a “for youth, by youth” model of engaging students in healthy living activities in their school communities. The purpose of the HLYC is to give students the opportunity, tools, and support to ask questions, provide feedback, and apply their ideas towards promoting healthy living and healthy schools. HLYC members are supported by teacher mentors, HLYC alumni members, program facilitators, and community partners. The HLYC is a component of Healthy Schools BC, coordinated by DASH BC, and in collaboration with the Provincial Ministries of Health and Education. Please check back in the spring for information on how to apply for next year’s Council.
What does the HLYC do throughout the year?
- Collaborate as a council, with teacher mentors, and the DASH team to initiate healthy school projects around the province
- Participate in youth-led meetings
- Participate at the Healthy Schools Symposium
- Offer learning opportunities in healthy living and leadership
- Train to become Healthy Living Champions
- Connect HLYC members with partnering organizations to support healthy school initiatives
Click here to see this year’s healthy school projects.
Have more questions about the HLYC?
- Please contact email@example.com
A video of BC’s first-ever Healthy Living Youth Council explaining some of the benefits of joining the Council.
“Our vision is a community that is fully educated about their mental, physical, emotional, and spiritual health. We will bring our vision into reality by empowering youth through support systems and providing resources for the youth of BC!”
– 2012-2013 HLYC