Volunteer Opportunities with Kid Commute: A Walking School Bus (WSB) Program
Seeking committed and on-call volunteers to safely walk children to and/or from Vancouver and North Vancouver schools.
A Walking School Bus (WSB) is an organized group of students who walk to and from school together with the support of an adult leader or leaders. Kid Commute: A Walking School Bus is a pilot program taking place in Vancouver and North Vancouver during the 2021-2022 school year to encourage active transportation. Walking School Bus Volunteers walk with small groups of children to ensure they arrive safely to and from school. Shift hours are before school (approximately 8-9am) or after school (approximately 3-4pm). To provide continuity and safety for students, we ask that volunteers commit to one shift per week for 8 consecutive weeks. However, “on-call” volunteers are also needed to fill in for absences, so we invite all interested individuals to apply, whatever your availability. Find more information or apply to volunteer at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/WSB_Volunteer.
Volunteer Opportunities for the Amazing School Street Program
Volunteers Needed at three schools (1) Van Horne Elementary, (2) Hastings Elementary and (3) Lord Roberts Elementary Schools DASH in partnership with The City of Vancouver and the Vancouver School Board, are expanding the Vancouver School Streets Program for the upcoming school year (September to June 2022). About School Streets A School Street is a car-free block beside a school open to walking, biking, and rolling during pick-up/drop-off (30 to 45 minutes depending on location). No motor vehicles are permitted to enter or exit the block when the School Street is in effect but parked vehicles may remain. School Streets is a popular program around the world and has been shown to:
- Create a safer environment for children
- Improve air quality
- Encourage active travel to school and promote independent mobility
- Reduce congestion and vehicle volumes around schools
- Support physical distancing needs due to COVID-19
This fall, volunteers are needed for the School Streets Program at three schools:
- Van Horne Elementary
- Hastings Elementary
- Lord Roberts Elementary
- Set-up and take down equipment before and after shift
- Stand by and monitor the barrier acting as additional safety support for the School Street
- Interact with, answer questions and provide contact information to interested residents/parents
- Volunteers are not expected to manage traffic during this time, as the street will be entirely closed to vehicles. Volunteers will be standing on the inner side of the barrier, within the School Street closure.
- Volunteers work in pairs during School Street shifts
Volunteer – Morning Shift Schedule and Duties
- 8:35am: Meet your partner at the designated school entrance. Retrieve volunteer bin from inside school. Put on vests, mask and sanitize hands. Unlock barriers.
- 8:40am: Move barriers out onto street, when it’s safe to do so. One volunteer will stand at each barrier.
- 8:40-9:10am: School Street begins, answer questions or provide City of Vancouver and DASH contact info as necessary.
- 9:10am: Move equipment off road, when safe to do so.
- 9:15am: Lock barriers to their designated storage posting, bring volunteer bin back inside school.
Volunteer – Afternoon Shift Schedule and Duties *Please Note: Afternoon Shifts run from 2:35-3:15pm at Van Horne Elementary and Hastings Elementary; Afternoon Shifts run from 2:35-3:35pm at Lord Roberts Elementary
- 2:35pm: Meet your partner at the designated school entrance. Retrieve volunteer bin from inside school. Put on vests, mask and sanitize hands. Unlock barriers.
- 2:40pm: Move barriers out onto street, when it’s safe to do so. One volunteer will stand at each barrier.
- 2:40-3:10 or 3:30pm: School Street begins, answer questions or provide City of Vancouver and DASH contact info as necessary.
- 3:10 or 3:30pm: Move equipment off road, when safe to do so.
- 3:15 or 3:35pm: Lock barriers to their designated storage posting, bring volunteer bin back inside school.