Facilitate Healthy School Initiatives:
At DASH BC, we use our deep understanding of a comprehensive school health (CSH) approach and our network of leaders to deliver and facilitate innovative healthy schools initiatives to directly benefit the health and learning of students and school communities. We also bring those who care about healthy schools to connect, share knowledge, and learn with and from each other. Our core program, the Healthy Schools Network, a group of schools dedicated to promoting the importance of health in their school communities and sharing their learning, efforts and experience with others.
DASH supports the Healthy Schools Network by:
- Coordinating the leaders within the network. These leaders coach and mentor HSN members to promote a comprehensive school health approach in their regions.
- Providing financial support for participating member school
- Providing learning opportunities to the HSN leaders in emerging healthy schools issues and knowledge in comprehensive school health.
In addition to facilitating innovative healthy schools initiatives, we also work closely with our partners to create resources that further help to support school communities to implement healthy schools across the four interrelated pillars of CSH:
- Social and Physical environment
- Teaching and Learning
- Healthy School Policy
- Partnerships and Services
Resources that provide information on CSH, as well as how to put it in action can be found on the Healthy Schools BC website, an online tool that brings together members of the school community, partners from the health sector and the broader community to support students to develop healthy habits that will last a lifetime. www.healthyschoolsbc.ca
We collaborate and work closely with the following networks, and together create opportunities for knowledge exchange and sharing.
- Health promotion specialists;
- Public health nurses;
- Dietitians and community nutritionists;
- Staff from local parks or recreation facilities;
- Local businesses (eg. Donating sports equipment, or sponsoring activities, or providing financial support);
- Other community service providers that support and promote student and staff health and well-being.
We provide support to the school community by providing the resources and tools and learning sessions to provide knowledge to implement a comprehensive school health (CSH) approach and to support the development of healthy schools. DASH also provides support in terms of funding to members of the healthy schools network to enable them to promote a comprehensive school health approach in their school regions.
Engage And Contribute:
DASH engages schools around the province on various healthy schools initiatives such as International Walk to School week. To learn more about all our programs and initiatives, please visit our Programs and Initiatives page.
Bring Healthy Schools Leaders Together:
DASH creates and hosts meeting opportunities for those who care about building healthy school communities. The Healthy Schools Symposium takes place every year in May.